I could not sleep last night. Let me rephrase that. I fell asleep at 8:00 pm last night… So, I woke up at 3:00 am wide eyed and bushy tailed. Just before waking I dreamt up this lovely brew and promptly began its creation hours before the sun came up. Obsessed, anyone?
Oh, the thought of it: sizzling bacon, sweet butternut squash and soft white beans simmering together in perfect harmony. It is almost naughty, like Three’s Company without the annoying neighbor to spoil the revelry. Blending half of the soup creates a creamy contrast that you can’t deny. Come in, take off your coat and join the party.
- 3 thick bacon slices, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups organic, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig of thyme, chopped
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. sugar in the raw
- In a large heavy pot, sauté bacon on medium heat until it is crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain and leave the drippings in the pan.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until golden, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in the butternut squash and garlic and cook until gently browned. Add chicken broth; bring to boil. Stir in rinsed beans, diced tomatoes, sugar, fresh herbs and spices. Salt and pepper to taste.
- When the vegetables are soft, ladle 1/3 of the soup in to a blender and pulsate until smooth. Return the puree to the pot. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- Check the seasonings and adjust if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped bacon and serve.